Elder Rodeback

Elder Rodeback

Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7, 2013


Friends and family, lendeth me thine ears.  It be-eth time to hear the words that I shall speak unto thee.

Wow, sorry I had to get some of the dumb missionary humor off of my chest.  See, as missionaries that kind of stuff is funny ;)  What is goin' on my hard rockin' amigos?  Yes, I know that you are all thinking "Really dude, you think that people enjoy this stuff?"  My answer to all y'alls is,  No, but my mother demands it and well…..for fear of not getting  treats in the mail anymore, I do as she tells me.  Man, I sound like Milo right now.
Milo

I hope everyone back West is loving the winter as much as I am.  As a good friend of mine once said, "Jackets over shorts."  I think the Lord is watching out for the missionaries who wanna not get fat, by allowing it to stay slightly warm in the morning so that we are able to go out and run.  It's really weird because while I ran before my mission, I hated it.  But, since I have been out here, I am addicted to running.  We had transfers last week and I am happy to say that Elder Hafoka and I will be staying together for another six weeks!  Yeah doggy!  (Hillbilly accent must be used for that statement)  We have been working really hard finding people to teach and we have some really promising people on our plate.  We hope that they will accept the Lord's message to them.  Being a missionary is the hardest thing I have ever done but the most rewarding.  While some days are really hard, and you wanna head butt a tree, there are other days where you are so grateful that the Lord gave you the strength to endure all of those days so that you make it to the moment when he needs you the most.  There is not a better feeling than knowing that the Lord is working through you.

In Helaman 4, the scripture goes into the pride cycle and I learned something really profound from it today.  I learned that the source of all sin, not just a couple here and there, but every single sin in the world, is a result of pride.  It blew my mind.  I was completely shocked by the fact that one thing could be the source of every bad thing in the world.  Think about it, when we let even the smallest bit of pride sneak its way into our hearts, we begin to think we don't need rules or commandments.  As this dawned on me, I began to realize all of the foolish mistakes I had made throughout my life because I was prideful.  I really want that to change while I am here.  I hope I can come home a more humble person and a more obedient person to the Lord and his commandments.  I would always say, "Nah, I am strong enough.  I can handle it."  Only to find out that when I said that, I had lost the strength of the Lord, just like the Nephites.  I really hope that I come home a completely different person.  I also want everyone to know that I no longer want to be a UFC fighter.  I love the sport but it's not something Heavenly Father wants me to do.  In Alma 21:12 is says "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

I love you all!  Peace and blessings, til next week!

Elder Rodeback

No comments:

Post a Comment