Elder Rodeback

Elder Rodeback

Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28, 2013


Friends, family, and people that are only reading this because my mom probably posts it all over Facebook.  Come hither and hear the preaching that shall slither forth and probably create many disputations amongst my brethren.
How's life today guys?  Hope everyone is loving the weather as much as my mom (which isn't a whole lot).  It's been a super crazy week this week!  We got a lot done though.  Despite the fact that Elder Stimpson and I have both had the flu.  (Yay flu)  I went on exchanges with the Zone Leaders last week and that was super fun.  Elder Jellen (one of the Zone Leaders) and I went about creating haveck among the Spanish people of Newark.  It was really funny because the team up we had kept saying things to me in Spanish because I am a Spanish Missionary….wait a second, no I'm NOT!  Because I lived with Spanish missionaries my entire mission, I understand it but, don’t know grammar well enough to respond, so I just kinda nodded my head to whatever he said! 
Elder Stimpson and I were able to see a less active member named Archie yesterday.  Now, Archie is a crazy among crazies and I love him!  We are pretty sure he was in the mob back in the day  but not now because he is 77 years old.  But anyway, we went over last night and he told us how he had been in a whole lot of pain the other day so he did what is dad used to do.  Drink til you can walk through a wall!  He said when he got home the wind was blowing so hard it picked him up like 6" off the ground and threw him down.  When he picked himself up and went to go inside he fell down his stairs (he lives in a basement) and right on to the floor.  When we walked outside he showed us where the "wind picked him up" and it was right next to where the stairs start.  Elder Stimpson and I are pretty sure that because he had been drinking,  he just missed the stairs and fell 3 feet to the ground.  Luckily he didn't break anything but he had a bunch of scrapes. :P
On a more spiritual note, we unlocked the mystery to the dinosaurs.  If you will all turn with me to Genesis, ha ha just kidding.  I'm gonna wait to reveal that until after I get home. J
I wanted to talk about hope and faith a little bit.  I have been continuing my humility study this week and I have been in the Jesus chapters of the Book of Mormon.  Man, I will tell you what, never before have I learned so much.  Especially in ch 15-19.  It's all about being righteous and the Sacrament.  But if you look deeper into it, you realize how humble Jesus Christ really was.  Even after he died it talked about how his purpose was still to do the will of the Father.  A really good friend of mind had an awesome experience with being humble to the subtle promptings of our Father.  I know with all of my heart that humility is central to EVERYTHING!  If we are not humble God tells us that we will be left to handle things on our own.  There is a quote that missionaries love, and to sum it up it says, "When we let obedience become our goal in life, the Lord God will endow us with power from on high."  Obedience is the one way to do everything with the Spirit and we cannot be obedient if we are not humble.
I love you guys and hope you have a fantastic week.  I gotta bounce!

Peace be in thine souls, for God is always with you!
Elder Patrick Rodeback

No comments:

Post a Comment