Elder Rodeback

Elder Rodeback

Monday, November 12, 2012

Hurricane Sandy!

Monday, November 5, 2012
Today after the Hurricane Sandy, our apartment is still without heat or power.  Last week I took a cold shower every stinking day.  To be honest, I felt like a real man toughing it out and living with what I had and doing what I had to do to get the work done effectively.  As of Saturday me, Elder Jester, Elder Wells, Elder Galvez, Elder Gittins and Elder Archibald have been staying at the Red Bank Elder's apartment.  Side note, the Red Bank Elders are Elder Daybell and Elder Mull.  We have been staying there because they have heat and power.  I am kind of nervous because we are suppose to get hit with another storm today or tomorrow and it is supposed to be below freezing temperatures and 75% of our ward are still without heat or power.  This storm has been devastating.  People's lives have been absolutely ruined.
We actually have been doing loads and loads of service.  I have been in jeans and a t-shirt for a week now.  Secretly, I am thoroughly enjoying being in casual clothes.  Sadly my shoes (Vans) got ruined.  We went and visited with the Sinagaglia's who are my favorite people here.  They have no power and no heat and have a 3 month old baby.  The first time we saw them they were ok and were able to keep the baby warm.  We gave them what food and water we had and I also gave them all of the cash that I had.  They literally had nothing.  It was horrible.  We made sure that they were good and went on our way.  We returned to check on them on Saturday and things had gone bad and the baby ended up getting sick.  They needed to get out but couldn't take their animals with them.  We made a decision to be slightly disobedient and we told them we would go over and feed the cat and dog while they were gone so that they could get the baby to warmth.  They are now in Perth Amboy at a family member's home.  Please my family and friends, keep the people out here in your prayers.  They really need them.
On a funnier note, I found out today that Jen Swindler's aunt and uncle live in the ward I am now serving in.  What a small world!!
We're working hard and helping out the best we can.  It's hard work but I love making a difference for someone else.  Keep us in your prayers.
Love,
Elder Rodeback
This is a picture of what washed up on the beach after the storm in Long Branch, NJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment